The International English Language Test or the IELTS is an exam to help you work, migrate or study to an international country such as the UK, Canada, Australia, and the USA. In these countries, English is the primary native language. The examiners will test the ability to understand, read, listen and speak English in this exam.
Each candidate needs to understand the pattern and syllabus to score well in this exam. This exam includes four sections- reading, Speaking, Writing, and listening. Candidates get marked on these four sections, and the total marks are the sum of the scores in these four skill areas. You will get a total of 2 hours and 45 minutes for this exam.
The most crucial part of this exam is the Writing test. And in the Writing test, Essays are critical. There are a total of 5 types of essays that can appear in the IELTS writing task . So, here in this article, we have shared all the information related to these essay types that you will learn through IELTS online training.
1. Opinion Essays of IELTS
In this essay, you will get to see someone else’s opinion and ask if you agree or disagree with it. The arguments can often be flawed or extreme in the views. They are also called Argumentative Essays. Most of the time, the instructions are written in several ways. Here are few examples:
- To what extent do you accept this situation?
- Do you agree?
- Do you disagree?
- What is your honest opinion?
No matter what and how the instructions are present, you can take any position you want: agree, disagree, or have a balanced view (partial agreement). An example of this type of essay question is as below:
Many people think that only electric bikes should be allowed on the road by 2030. Do you agree
2. Discussion Essays of IELTS
In discussion essays, you will encounter a statement, and you must present two sides. Below is an example of this essay.
Many citizens think that there should be free health care for all, but some disagree. Discuss both sides.
Also, sometimes there might be two different issues that candidates need to discuss. For an example:
Some citizens think that downtown spaces should be used for parks rather than housing. Discuss the two different sides and give your opinion.
3. Advantage or Disadvantage Essays of IELTS
The advantage or disadvantage essays include two types of categories.
a. Advantage and Disadvantage Essay
These essays are quite similar to the discussion essay where the students will be given a statement, and they must present both positive and negative sides of the information.
- Example – Some people think students should take a year’s break before going to university. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of doing so?
b. Outweigh Essay
It is one of the most tricky essays of all. You have to present an opinion and explain your belief in this category.
- Example- Some people believe the world will have only one language someday. What are the advantages of having one global language? Also, explain the disadvantages.
4. Solution Essays of IELTS
There are several types of possible questions in this category. Below are some of them.
a. Solution only
- Example- Nowadays, children have a severe weight problem. What are the best possible solutions?
b. Cause Solution
- Example – In the rural areas, children are being left behind in their educational development. Explain why this is happening and what is the solution according to you?
c. Problem Solution
- Example- People from rural areas are moving to the big cities to look for work. What possible problems can cause this and explain some solutions?
d. Direct Questions Essays
In this category, essays might contain one, two, or sometimes three questions. Here are a few examples.
- Pollution is undoubtedly one of the biggest problems in the world. Do you think that it can be solved globally or on a local level?
- People spend a lot of money to buy expensive clothes. Why do they do this? Do you think it is good to spend a lot of money on clothing items?
So, this is the overview of the five different types of essays that might come in the IELTS Writing module. Through IELTS online training from a reputed institution, you will get to know about various sample questions and answers, together with different words that might be used in the examination. We hope this write-up will help you to achieve your dream score in the IELTS exam!